Re: [AMC-list] Match Balancing

If I had unlimited time and unlimited money and I could pay some one else to
do all the work, well you know what I mean, we wouldn't even be discussing
this if Dan had all the above. What Dan has is a good running engine that to
the best of his knowledge is ready to go except it needs a flexplate, not a
complete tear down and re-assemble. Dan would be further ahead to just get
another engine with a flexplate and go that route, instead of merely match
balancing a flexplate to a known flywheel. People make mistakes all the
time. Just because the engine is completely tore down and everything checked
for balance and the flexplate included in this, doesn't mean that some one
isn't going to make a mistake during that process. Shops that did what you
describe obviously don't know what they are doing or over stepped their own
common sense.
All the flywheels I've seen so far from AMC V-8s all have had some balance
metal removed. If you have seen flywheels that are from 70 on up AMC V-8s
that do not have drilled holes for balancing, they must have came off a very
special internally balanced AMC V-8. Did the factory build those? I remember
reading that the final balance was obtained by correcting the flywheel or
vibration dampener or both.
If Dan's engine is a race motor I agree 100% go through it again and make
double sure everything is correctly balanced. With a big investment in a
race motor you're not doing your investment justice if you do anything less.
Is this 100% necessary for a mild street engine? I don't think so. the
engine may well end up better balanced after the procedure that what the
factory put them out the door. If the shop guy looks funny at you when you
discuss this with him, he doesn't know what he's doing and has never figured
out how to do this correctly in the past. He has had several boo boo's that
cost the boss money and he's skeptical of his ability to get it correct.
Remember the flywheel Dan is talking about has already proven itself to be
correct with that 390. If the same condition is duplicated correctly onto  a
flexplate every law of physics says it will be operate correctly on the same
engine. I'm sorry I have to go with Davis, Mark and  Greg  saying it works
just fine to copy balance flexplates and flywheels and interchange them. I
have personal experience that machinists are capable of doing it without
making mistakes. No offense intended Bruce I know you are an execelent
machinist and mechanic, I just can't agree with you on this one. I am also a
firm believer in not wasting money if you don't have to. Remember all my
argument is based on finding a shop that knows and has successful
experiences in this procedure.

Armand (pretty sure Bruce has been fully balanced since 1968 and on an even
keel ever since, but not so sure about himself for answering this post)