[AMC-list] Engine Balance

Unless you're using ALL the same components again, and you know that the
engine ran smooth before I would NEVER put any type of HP engine together
without at least checking the balance! I balance ALL mine!! Even the stock
ones!

I have run several types of balancers for a long time and seen hundreds of
assemblies come in for balancing. You would not believe what I have seen
that the customer said "looks" OK but turned out to be way off. How about a
set of rods where one is FIFTY grams heavy on the big end!! Looked just like
the other ones (turned out the beam was thicker at that end). Or a cast
crank uses an external balance but a forged one does not (for the same OE
application, customer didn't know it). How about early Toyota 22r rods are
35 grams lighter than late ones??

For the life of me I can't understand why folks are willing to spend $600+
on a set of pistons but balk on spending $150-$200+ (what we usually charge)
to check the balance!!!

Would you accept $200 to remove and replace a "shaker" that had not been
balanced to be repaired?? Then why aren't you spending that up front to
guaranty that you don't??

"Match balancing" a flywheel "should" get you close but I would never
guaranty that. I would only do that with the customers understanding that
it's not the recommended method. I would want to do the whole assembly.

 That's one procedure I have always done that I see other shops do wrong.
When balancing an "externally" balanced assembly,, the flywheel and balancer
should NOT be used to remove or add weight!! That way if you need to replace
one down the road you just need to replace it with an "off the shelf" item
and not worry about matching the custom weight of the flywheel or balancer.

But HEY,,, that's just ME

Bruce Hevner