From: "Frank Swygert" <farna@xxxxxxx>
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, March 20, 2009 6:28:02 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Anyone want a tank of bad gas? Free? Bring syphon!

You can also use a product called "Sta-Bil" available in auto parts stores. I use it in my motorcycle if I'm going to have it parked for more than a couple months, same with the lawn tractor. Just takes a few ounces. No need to run it all the time, just put in a few ounces before you park for a while. Run the engine a bit, enough to pull the mixture in the entire fuel system or you're not doing much good. A 10-15 minute drive is usually sufficient, and the sloshing around mixes it better too. Seems like the oil companies would add THAT to their additive packages instead of letting the fuel go bad, but most people don't let gas sit for 4-6 months (with the exception of lawn equipment). With the shortages the fuel you got from that station could have been older fuel too. I can tell you from experience mixing 6 month+ old fuel with fresh doesn't do much good! Tried that in my lawn mower, mixing 25% old, 75% new (not 50/50!!), and it STILL smoked, spit, and sputtered. To top it o
 ff I had to clean the carb a couple times before I got it straightened out!

-------
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 22:14:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: d stohler <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx>

tom and myself had this same issue working on 2 years ago i think. if your car sat for a couple months, that gas could have done it. the gas now, has so much CRAP in it, it evapurates so fast, and leaves a nasty amber looking crap. take a clear bottle, or cup, put a little gas in it and leave it for just a few days. turns nasty amber like a medium beer.... nasty. i now make it a point of draining my fuel tanks when i have a car sitting for very long. caspers tank got pumped dry last fall when i parked her for the winter. my other rigs all have empty tanks also. but, you weigh the pros-cons. empty tank, condensation, full tank, tank full of varnish crap, meaning sticking valves, causing bent pushrods, and in my case on my 65 287, EXPLODED hydraulic lifters.... take y our pick what you wanna deal with. either the car sat for a while and allowed that fuel to evapurate a little, and make the varnish, or the "cheapy station" had a tank of old fuel. and
 possibly picking up some from the old stuff in the fuel system. all i can say is HAVE FUN, and take it real easy. i also run seafoam when my rigs have been sitting for a little while. seems to work great for me. just dump a can in the tank.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"