Re: [Amc-list] Anyone want a tank of bad gas? Free? Bring syphon!

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 9:52 PM, Bruce Griffis <bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Before I even started the engine I pulled the gas tank and brought it in
> to a shop to clean it.

Oh! Sorry. Wow then that is weird. I didn't clean out my (steel) fuel
line either, though I did change all the rubber. And my tank as as bad
as any.

Well you in a bit of a pickle it seems. Maybe you could try draining 8
oz of gas, and do the home made chromatography trick with a piece of
cardboard and see if it leaves any deposits behind.

Did the head not get boiled out last time it was apart, and that goo
was still in the valve guides and welded the valve in?

This kinda stuff would (does!) make me nuts.  Just clean out the head
and assume it won't come back? Or go through all the hassle of
flushing the tank AGAIN! likely for nothing?!

> I checked it with a flashlight before putting it
> back on, and it looked good to me. I did not change the sock on the fuel
> pick up. I did change the rubber sections of gas line, but did not
> change the main steel fuel line. I swapped out the fuel pump for a
> reman. My son rebuilt the carb. I put on a new line between the fuel
> pump and the carb.

That all sounds really smart.

> I'm pointing to a cheapy gas station - but then again, I gassed up my
> '03 Corolla and '06 Highlander at the same station a few days later with
> no problems at all - so that's probably not it - unless I got bottom of
> the barrel stuff in my Rambler before bringing my other cars in for fuel.

How frustrating!!