Re: [Amc-list] 76 Hornet Pertronix distributor - vac advance dead; fix,

Re: [Amc-list] 76 Hornet Pertronix distributor - vac advance dead; fix, or replace the whole POS ?

" From: Ken Ames <ameskg@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" Apparently the connector between the dist and module is quite sensitive to
" corrosion also. Only milliamps going through so it doesn't take much to screw it up.

i've heard that too.  these days contact cleaner and grease would
thoroughly fix it, but that was 'rocket science' back in the '70s.

" Quoting Joe Fulton <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
"
" >
" >
" > Jerry, if it's the stock distributor it's a Prestolite and not a Delco (which
" > the Pertronix unit would fit).  Amc used the prestolite from bout 1975
" > through 1977 I believe.  The Prestolite is famous for having a bad vacuum
" > diaphragn in the advance mechanism.  You can get a rebuilt Prestolite through
" > the auto parts chains.  That's what I did but a lot of people don't like that
" > ignition system anyway because the modules can go out without warning. I have
" > some NOS modules so I decided to stay with the unit.
" >
" > Joe Fulton
" >
" >