Re: [Amc-list] DRUM BRAKES IN THE RAIN -- OH FUN

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 1:27 PM, russ hathaway <russh97309@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The only thing I liked about the discs was the pedal feel, it felt more true as I remember.

Yeah, I think in this age of "universal" discs the feel of drums
scares people, but it's just the relatively long stroke that does that
I think. Taking up the slack that lowers friction! But of course I got
used to it and if they were to actually develop a problem (leak, bum
adjuster, etc) I'm quite sure I coudl feel it.

> But I went back to the drums as I got better stopping and gas miliage with them.

I hadn't thought of the drag aspect of discs. The low-drag 80's discs
seem a little nicer in the regard. On my Hornet, Ispent a little
effort de-nicking the (Bendix) mounting shoe business with a file and
bought new keys (whatever those things are called), and greased it OK
and I think that helps. Apparently the system relies on a small amount
of runout always present in real life rotors to tap the piston back
and to tap the caliper back. Seems like a crock to me, but it works OK
when perfect.

> Drums are more work to maintain since they need adjusting but I am a maintenance nut. I prefer to know what is going on with the car before it breaks down

Yeah, maintenance pays. These things are old! I've had really good
luck with the self-adjusters doing their job. I pop a wheel off every
so often just to look-see (Id rather the car drop dead in my driveway
than on the road too), and that reminds me, I haven't looked at the
rear brakes since last spring!