[Amc-list] Concord Engine Question - 4.0 EFi Six -

From: Wrambler <wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Concord engine question
To: "AMC/Rambler owners, drivers and fans." <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Say what?

Looking at your reply Brien it looks like you are saying nah to using the 91-95 4.0L for the swap?

Since those are my preference years for 4.0L swaps I would like to know why you say nah?

Those years of the OBD efi are most swappable, easiest to do and wire, less sensors and hoops to get workign than a 96 up OBD II system.  The 91-95 is what Chrysler based the swap harness and efi on. I have a 91 Wrangler system in my Americand it has been performing flawlessly since install.

--

Correct_ah_Mundo - :]

 Because ..  IMO and Others  .. the Renix engines were designed & built really well - the blocks - can't speak
to the Ni-Si  contents in these years but have read the Kudos from builders on their impressions while machining them - and unlike the '91 - '95 blocks - they like 'em.

Chrysler removed material from the engine blocks - to lighten them and to save money in the '91 thru 95 engines .

I believe materials used at the Foundries were of a lower cost as well from the machining comments I've read - kinda the difference between a richly dense quality & one that is drier & less dense.

In keeping with your premise that 'less is more' applied to
 EFi engine management - I disagree  .

Chrysler did a 're_rethink' like AMC did with their 258 block - so much so they had to add a Main Stud Girdle to stiffen the blocks.. and kept adding back block material casting run after casting run - which led to the NHV Blocks - Noise Harmonic Vibration - with lettering NVH cast right into the blocks of latter years  .

Cash strapped Chrysler would not have done any of this - if there weren't obvious problems that would cost them in service complaints & ratings.

There were problems with the '91 - 95 engines - wear problems - noise problems - flex problems.

Might just as well get the quality version as pricing is the same.

A swapper can choose to using a GM ECM instead of a Renix or OBD system .

The Renault - Bendix = Renix system is preferred by off_roaders as they accept camshaft upgrades without ping problems -  Your '91-'95 systems do not.

Other choice used widely are the GM ECM units.

'91 - '95 EC M's take less engine readings - making cruder corrections thus dumbing down the engine and lowering the EFi effectiveness.

I'd guess that as a DD running unloaded in a light car - it would be ok - but again, Chrysler kept adding back ECM control to each ECM system used after the Renix.

It is my understanding that Chrysler left the Renix system due to legalities - they didn't want to pay to use the patents.

The Renix system was costly to design - and they covered all bases to get it right.

Although you can't flash these chips - it seems no one has found the need to, even
when running them with a street Turbo @ 5 to 7 lbs.

The Edelbrock EFi kit for AMC V8's are GM EC M's .

GM EC M's are easy to install - easier to harness in since some have stand alone harnesses - and you can flash the chips to your particular engine.

My DD is an '89 Cherokee Sport 2dr. 5spd. - the engine is incredibly solid - quiet  & strong @ 200K miles .

The Renix ECM does a great job of Fuel Quality management - have never had a Ping regardless of load / RPM range while running the el Cheap o Mobil pump gas.

I'd recommend a 2wd 1990 or '89 personally - or - an NVH block '98 with the
7120 head , '99 Intake Manifold and ECM EFi control of your choice, mine being
the Renault - Bendix system - same Grp. that does the work for the Renault F-1
Racing efforts.

That would be a Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet  combo with all the best at bargain RM prices.

I would not delete the EFi system - just get over dancing pussy foot &
commit to getting it in.

They're s a few Guru's on this List & Strokers
that can help with the harness & questions.

I'll seek one out when I finally get moving on the Kammback again.

I have in stock an '88 Renix system that needs the harness weeded - cost is around $100 for the deed - well worth it for peace of mind.

The Camshaft in the 4.0 is an EFi Camshaft - not a Carb Camshaft.

Had a long talk with Chase Knight @ Crane Cams on this very topic &
my view is his view:

Install the EFi or change the Cam for a Carb version.

Moving back to a carb away from a Factory Designed EFi system
is a no brainier for me.. it'll never happen.

There are differences with the Accessory Drives according to models
which I believe has to do with space.

 I'm half watching NASCAR at the
moment so - ...........I'm outtake here.

milnersXcoupe
1981 series50