[Amc-list] 196 ignition stuff

for anyone who has done ignition upgrades on their 196, but still using the old plugs, i have found some platinum plugs that are suposed to work well. i am using an accel 40,000 volt coil. before, didnt get the full spark due to the resister for the points. going without the resister with the pertronix kit should help alot. also using accel 8mm wires. you make them your own, so you can route them how you like. not that you got a lot of choice on the 196 tho. the plugs i found are an autolite plug. plug # AP85. i am gapping them at .035-.040. should work well i think. i am going to look at my dizzy, and see if i can do tom j's advance hack he did.

hey tom, or anyone else that knows the difference, do you think it can be done on a 62 dizzy the way you did your 63? i notice a few differences, but i dont know if the mechanical advance stuff underneath is different or not.

i am hoping that these ignition goodies make it run smoother, and maybe even better milage. maybe i will send in my extra head (if its good enough to do) and try to get some work done on it. shaving it down a little. bigger valves, and ill do my own port cleaning. maybe get it to flow better because i have hopes of someday finding a small turbo to try and see what happens. would be cool to make it a real torque monster. i doubt it will happen. i dont think all that head work is probably really going to be of any real value on this motor. just freshen it up. valve grind, resurface the head ect.

and like always, i start rambling on about other things.....

dave stohler
my rambler pics@
http://picasaweb.google.com/das24rules