Re: [Amc-list] hey big spender, spend a little time with me

Re: [Amc-list] hey big spender, spend a little time with me

Davis,

Thanks for your input. I have a bad taste in my mouth from the lack of
service from Mallory. Whether their products are better or not or cheaper or
not doesn't matter to me any more. I bought a Mallory dual point for the
white Javelin 30 years ago, and cannot get replacement caps for the
distributor. The cap is a two piece cap, separates horizontally just under
the wire terminals,  that positively locks the wires in place using a rubber
gasket and squeezing the wires when the screws are tightened. It was the
best dual point distributor available at the time for the engine. HEI's were
just coming on the market. I contacted Mallory for parts and their comment
simply was that no replacement parts are available. It seems crazy to not
have a replacement cap for that distributor, even if it is 30 years old. I
would think that they made a whole lot of those distributors back then and I
would think there are a lot of them left out there. I can still get points
for it. What really irks me is they didn't even offer suggestions in finding
a substitute cap either. I'm sure something would fit. So screw Mallory, I
don't need them nor do I need their products. Cheaper, more adjustable or
whatever doesn't matter to me, it's a matter of principle to me, and
Mallory's lack of parts service. However, I most certainly hope you have a
better experience with Mallory than I had. I have a very expensive useless
to me distributor sitting in the white Javelin, with Mallory's name on it.

MSD seems to be the above standard in racing or street distributors, and
ignition products. Maybe their costs are a bit higher, but in my experience
you get what you pay for.  Almost everyone uses them....I have never even
seen a Mallory equipped race car or a show/street car or hot rod around
here. MSD is universal.

I chose the MSD ready to run distributor for the advantage of not needing a
box at all. For the difference in the cost of the ready to run pro
distributor versus the billet distributor and a box, I thought I couldn't go
wrong. The advantage the way I see it is, the ready to run doesn't need a
box but can be used with one for more versatility, better spark, etceteras.
Plus if a box is used and the box goes dead, you can just bypass it and get
going again. With the billet distributor you have to use a box, if it goes
dead you need a new box or a rebuilt one to get going again. I heard enough
stories about people being way laid by dead boxes that I guess I didn't
trust it that much. Any way the cost difference really isn't that much. I
got the ready to run distributor for $329.00. The billet and a box is more
than that. The last set of wires I bought were cheapies (Blue Max), I don't
want to go that route again. The MSD wires are spendy, but I believe are a
much better product. I may go with some protector sleeves anyway, just
because I like the comfort of added protection........

Thanks again for your input Davis,

Armand