Re: [Amc-list] 1968 Javelin - Amc/Dana mod. 20 rear end QUESTION

Re: [Amc-list] 1968 Javelin - Amc/Dana mod. 20 rear end QUESTION

" From: "Armand Eshleman" <aje1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" Andrew said
" >
"
" >
" > cj - should be 5x5.5".  sj - 6 x 5.5"?  should be 1pc axles though.
"
" Armand Says,
"
" Andrew, I was just in my storage unit (the corner of my garage) and looked
" at the axles, they are definitley two piece, and the bolt pattern is 5 on 5.
" I thought I was told they are from a CJ. The track is very narrow, can't
" measure it as it is all tore down for the ring and pinion salvage, (3.54)
" and the housing is buried in parts. It is an AMC 20 not a Dana.

that sure sounds like a cj, but afaik jeep was 5x5.5 or bigger right
up until the xj and yj.

" My thoughts for the housing was to send it to an axle maker such as Strange
" or Moser, have them weld in axle tubes from a Ford 9 inch, make the
" appropriate one piece axles, weld on endplates for Ford, and install disc
" brakes. then put it under the Javelin. I would have the strength of a 9 inch
" th elightness of an AMC 20 and the bullet proof one piece axles. It would
" use less power than the Ford 9 inch too.....

you shouldn't need ford end plates for disks if that's all you want
them for; according to the streetrod mfg co, amc20 end plates have
the same pattern as ford 'small bearing' axles already.  also '76-up
cj and '80s fsj amc20s and d44s.

btw this is [according to them] 3 5/16" x 2", and one of the 'large
bearing' patterns is 3 9/16" x 2".  slot the holes 1/8"?