Re: [Amc-list] Goodbye to another brand

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 03:24:51PM -0500, Bruce Griffis wrote:

> My son works at a Saturn dealership. He has loved Saturns since I
> bought a green SL1 back in '95. That's what he learned to drive on.
> The first car he bought was a Saturn Ion sedan. He lowered it. Put on
> a cat back exhaust. Put on a bigger throttle body, opened up the
> restrictor. Put on bigger wheels and tires from an Ion 3. Put in nice
> Recaros out of an Ion Redline. Did some suspension work. And learned
> that all that work destroyed it's resale value (ouch!!!) and without
> access to the computer chip it couldn't make use of better breathing
> and exhaust (very little power gain, and a different chip than the
> Ecotech in the Cobalts).

Cool - I had no idea there was much in action in hot-rodding those
things.  Aren't there any aftermarket chips available for them?

> Today we learned that GM is shutting down Saturn in 2011. How'd he
> learn this? His first full time job (and his current job) is at a
> Saturn dealership. The kid lives and breathes Saturn.

Though you have to admit there's a little poetry in this.  Now he's
going to have a much greater understanding of "the AMC experience"
you've spent all these years with.

Jonathan