Re: [Amc-list] Gettin' the sludge out

Bruce,

I think you could use an engine flush product like the Gunk brand engine flush.  Just follow the directions on the can.  I think it calls for idling the engine for a few minutes after adding the engine flush product then changing you oil.  I think you can generally tell how much sludge and varnish is in your engine by the appearance of the valve train.  When I'm evaluating whether to pull and engine in the junkyard I generally remove a (or the) valve cover.

Regards,
Joe Fulton