Re: [Amc-list] tbi adapter for 196

> iterestig. what would a guy look for as far as vehicle/parts for puttng a
> generic motors tbi on a 196?? i might be interested if its easily
> obtainable..

Having done only one system, my '63 Classic wagon, the hard parts were:

tank return line plumbing (BUT SEE BELOW)
fuel pump in frame rail
wiring harness (note)
throttle linkage
mounting computer

tank: I had the tank out, drilled a hole, installed a real return line.
Waste of time and prone to creating leaks. What I would do next time is, add
the return line to the tank filler neck, at the tank, with 12" of steel line
to run the fuel inside, rather than just drip into the neck. I can see no
downside to this, and you can probably do it on-car.

wiring harness: mine was easy, as it came with the Howell kit I bought from
Russell. You'd have to lop out one from the donor car. The big connectors to
the computer would be a pain and/or expensive to do yourself. But if you had
to add, or extend, etc, one or more of: fuel pump relay, fuse, MAP sensor,
IAC, or injectors, that's just two wires each thing. (I would NOT! use
crimps for those, but strip, twist, SOLDER, and heatshrink. Too critical.)
The harness ground is CRITICAL, and goes to the intake manifold, NOT the
chassis. The manifold is where the injectors are....

throttle linkage: likely full custom. But it's just metal.

Then there's the tuning part. You need a laptop, some hardware like Moates'
AutoPROM ($300). The actual tuning process is easy, if you are comfortable
with a spreadsheet. It seems likely that I'll do the 195.6 at some point.