[Amc-list] 195.6 OHV heads'n'stuff

Got my heads back from the machine shop. I stripped them down (forgot to pop
welch plugs out) and had the shop clean them and crack-check only. No other
machine work. Got a slight surprise; the head I figured was perfect had been
repaired once (well done) and the one I suspected was overheated (oil in
water) is fine. The repaired one had cracked between the two valves, clearly
a burned exhaust (#6), the repair looks really well done, and since the head
had some miles on it after the repair, THEN crack-checked, it's just fine.
Note the nice new exhaust seat staked in.

http://wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-American/Engine/heads.html

I got a second turbocharger from a U-Pull-It Saturday, cheap, from an MR-2,
it's too big for the little 195.6, but we'll stick it on the Escort. But the
tiny one I've got, a small Garett, looks pretty good still. Did some crappy
(hard to see) mockups. SCDynoSim says it oughta work fine, torque peak
around 2100 and HP peak around 4000. 6psi boost.

I know how I'm gonna pull it off, physically.  Throw the oil filter (drivers
side, up next to the radiator tank) and generator (drivers side, low) into
the trash. Move the battery to the trunk. Now the turbo sits up there.
Exhaust runs UP into the turbo where the battery was, then straight down and
out. Outlet runs into the manifold via aircraft surplus reinforced silicone
HOSE (picture a radiator hose, but won't dissolve in fuel). Side-draft YF
carb.

Alternator goes on the passenger (distributor) side of the engine. I hate
power steering and no A/C so plenty of room.

http://wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-American/Engine/turbo.html

I think I can use the volcano-butt '58 crank with the manual trans and
clutch; I think Dave said he has that?