Re: [Amc-list] V8 in 6 cyl Rebel Wagon= issues? Is my 3 spd an overdrive

Re: [Amc-list] V8 in 6 cyl Rebel Wagon= issues? Is my 3 spd an overdrive?

" From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
"
" It's worth checking to see if that 3spd+OD is not a T-14 OD or something
"   desirable! Unlikely maybe, but it costs nothing to check.

agreed!  that would be a gem of a find.

" > " Maybe the 8" clutch saves the day?!
" >
" > all 3 of my '66 americans with 199 and t96 had 9" clutches.  iirc my
" > '65 with 196 had one too when i yanked it.  i think the 8" was last
" > used with the flathead in the early '60s.
"
" My 195.6OHV most definitely has 8", and the flywheel is not drilled for
" the 9".
"
" I wasn't really serious about the small clutch saving anything, really.
" I think what "saves" the driveline is percieved-grandma the customer not
" doing hole shots. However grandson did.
"
" In any case, the little T-96, designed for 40's and 50's hp levels, will
" be unhappy with increase tooth face wear and all that, which you see
" even in the Americans. THere's nothing inherently wrong with it, it's
" just old and small.
"
" I bet that with modern lubricants, mine will last a long time. But in a
" Rebel wagon?! That's just nuts.

also agreed.  i've read in '60s engine-swap articles that it was
'safe' to out a v8 in front of a t96 in a light car on the theory that
the [skinny '60s bias-ply] tires would break loose before the tranny
grenaded, but even the proponents weren't really convinced.

it would've made much more sense to standardize on the hd t86 setup.
the mitchell interchange says there's a special hd bellhousing for it
so i've always assumed it was the stock 287/290 tranny, and in the big
cars there's room enough to position even the long six so that clutch
linkage and driveshaft were also v8 parts.