Re: [Amc-list] V8 in 6 cyl Rebel Wagon= issues? Is my 3 spd an overdrive

Re: [Amc-list] V8 in 6 cyl Rebel Wagon= issues? Is my 3 spd an overdrive?

It's worth checking to see if that 3spd+OD is not a T-14 OD or something
  desirable! Unlikely maybe, but it costs nothing to check.

> " Maybe the 8" clutch saves the day?!
>
> all 3 of my '66 americans with 199 and t96 had 9" clutches.  iirc my
> '65 with 196 had one too when i yanked it.  i think the 8" was last
> used with the flathead in the early '60s.

My 195.6OHV most definitely has 8", and the flywheel is not drilled for
the 9".

I wasn't really serious about the small clutch saving anything, really.
I think what "saves" the driveline is percieved-grandma the customer not
doing hole shots. However grandson did.

In any case, the little T-96, designed for 40's and 50's hp levels, will
be unhappy with increase tooth face wear and all that, which you see
even in the Americans. THere's nothing inherently wrong with it, it's
just old and small.

I bet that with modern lubricants, mine will last a long time. But in a
Rebel wagon?! That's just nuts.