Re: [Amc-list] Stroker 304 build - More Build pics

Re: [Amc-list] Stroker 304 build - More Build pics

Hi Tom,
Thanks for the comments.  If I had more $$$ and time, I'd do a before-n-after on the head grooves, but alas, I don't, LOL.  I am still mulling over getting the engine dynoed ($400 cost and 2.5 hours away for a dyno set up for AMCs) with probably a 4-bbl carb & then a switch to the FISH 1-barrel to see the apples-to-apples comparison for both.  I'll at least know what kind of power and torque the engine is making with both.

The oil pan is not a Milodon pan.  It's the 0.100" thick Rock pan (for offroading) from Bull Tear.  Matt at BT is going to take it back and check it out, since this has happened once before.  He posted about it on my build thread at http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?p=863356 . ; Matt is being very cool about dealing with the pan, so I appreciate his customer service.

I was a bit surprised on the Milodon head studs, though. Those are a definite problem, so I switched to a set of ARP head BOLTS, bought from Summit.  They basically look like stock head bolts, but with the super tensile strength. I didn't want to re-use stock used head bolts on 10.2:1 compression and higher cylinder pressures.  The new ARP bolts will have a more consistent torque spec, which should help with better gasket sealing.

I really would have liked to run the ROL Xtreme head gasket, but with it having a 4.275" bore on the 3.83" 304 cylinder bore, the 304 Felpro gasket fits a lot better, and gives about +0.25 more compression.

The "red" car in the back ground is Rick Jones' 69 S/C Rambler.  He has the coolest AMC license plate for it ... "Group 19".

Sincerely,
Greg Taylor :) <><
Rochester Hills, MI
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer "TRMN8R2"