Re: [Amc-list] seat belts (and parking brakes)

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 04:59:11PM -0500, Frank Swygert wrote:

> Seat belts were offered as an option on Ramblers since 1962, but I
> didn't find mounts in the floor of my 63 either. I used a fender washer
> on top and bottom of the anchor bolt. A fender washer is a large washer
> with a small hole. I used 3/8" bolt size fender washers, which are about
> 2-2.5" in diameter.
>
> Someone told me once that you could hit something hard enough to bend
> one of those washers and rip the hole in the floor sheet metal. That's
> true, but if you hit something hard enough to do that, you don't need
> to worry about the seat belts at all. In fact, you won't be worrying
> about a thing from then on.

Yeah, that's pretty much how it looks, at least on the tunnel.  But I'd
sure like to do something better on the rocker channel side.

> The only thing to worry about on the park brake cable is the end where
> it attaches to the pedal inside.

That's where they're all different.  I just pulled out my old cable, and
it's pretty nasty - the cable has a little ball crimped onto the end,
*after* it's been threaded through a U-bracket that gets clevis-pinned to
the pedal mechanism.  And the way it's organized, you actually have to
yank the entire pedal mechanism out to get the clevis pin out.  Dinks.

> If you can get an end that connects there you can trim the other end to
> fit. You can get small cable swedges and screw on stops or clamps from
> Lowe's or a hardware store to get the other end to fit.

I'm thinking that NOS is going to be a lot less screwing around.  Anyone
have a guess as to who's most likely to have one?

thx.
jl