Re: [Amc-list] Spring compressor

Joe Fulton wrote:

> I had a 66 Rambler spring get away from me in a aircraft shop where I was borrowing the press to release the spring from the aftermarket spring compressors (from Harbor Fright, I beleve).  When that sprng began to slip there was nothing I could do but duck and try to release the shop press as fast as possible.  It wasn't fast enough and the spring flew out of the compressor and hit the wall of the shop about fifteen feet away with a lot of force.  It narrowly missed some expensive (redundant) airplane parts in cluding a Cessna wing.  I bought a Snap-On tool after that but I have not used it on a trunnion equipped car yet. I don't know if it will fit, but it works great on the 70-later coil springs.

They must also be tall and skinny... the Classic and hornet's are short
and fat and don't tend to do that.

I am embarrassed to say I did the little American "Classic style" and it
was a misteak. I used wedges strategically between the middle coils to
keep the spring from sproinging sideways. It was not exactly
confidence-instilling, let's say.

If you can keep the spring vertical, it's not that big a deal, but yeah,
they get all non-linear once they go sideways! THat sounds terrifying,
crap that would do a lot of damage to one's head or face... >>SHUDDER<<