Re: [Amc-list] vacuum wipers

I put 2 hoses to my '66 IH motor (one to intake and another to ported vacuum) and ran them to a vacuum ball with check valves in the lines. That gave me vacuum at idle and rev!

From: Tom Jennings
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] vacuum wipers
To: "AMC/Rambler owners, drivers and fans."

Victor the Cleaner wrote:
> It's been many years since I last attempted to mess with them,
> so perhaps it's time to survey the collected wisdom.
>
> First of all, what sort of vacuum should I be measuring on the
> fuel pump's wiper port?

Should be manifold worst case, with a good booster pump, I'd guess(*)
around 16 - 20 InHg all the time.

(*) The TSM has a hilariously vague spec that says something like
'sufficient' in it. It assumes you are fully conversant with the physics
of the thing. We got a good guffaw out of that about a year ago.

> Second, how best to perk up a groggy wiper motor?

Peter Stathes? Mac McCoy? rebuild them about $100/pop. I've done
quickies on mine, OK if they're not too far gone. Complete disassembly,
clean and lube. Vaseline is about right.

Everyone complains about them, but I like them better than electrics.
Most of the complaints, as I see it, are based on the behavior of 40 -
50 year old units which are of course worn out. Rebuilt or rejuvenated
they're fine. You do have to have a booster pump else accelleration
means no wiping. I've lived with that on my Classic for 20 years (I'm an
idiot).