Re: [Amc-list] Water line in six cyl. intake

Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 17:26:37 -0800 I checked the 66 TSM. According to
it the 199 has a water heated intake. I checked through the years and
this was so on all 199s except for 1970, which didn't have a water
heating tube. Note also that the 232 came only with the WCD 2V carb in
66. The WCD didn't use a water heated intake on the 196 either. None of
the 232s used a water heated intake. The reason for the water heated
intake appears to be economy. Apparently AMC engineers took the
economy-over-power route for the 199. Heating the intake produces better
economy and cold weather driving, but at the loss of a little power due
to a less dense intake charge. So the 2V was the opposite --
power-over-economy. Not that the slightly cooler intake helped power a
whole lot, maybe 2-3 hp? The heat riser in the exhaust manifold
("flapper" between manifolds) was thermostatically controlled, so some
heat would be blocked as the engine warmed up, whereas the water heated
intake should maintain a more or less constant temp along with the
engine. Directly from the TSM: "The intake manifold on the 199 Cubic
Inch Displacement Engine incorporates an internal water heater tube to
provide quick uniform warming of the fuel-air mixture, especially during
cold weather operation to improve economy." ----------- From: Tom
Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx> Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Water line in six cyl.
intake (was: Engine for sale) Frank Swygert wrote:

> > all the Holley 1909 1V carb 195.6 engines got the water line. The
> > Carter WCD 2V carb didn't have it, and I don't think the other 1V
> > carbs had it either. Don't know about the 199/232 for sure, but I'm
> > pretty sure none of them have a water heated intake, not when the
> > intake and exhaust are bolted together anyway. Could be wrong...

I wonder what the reason/logic is? It's new-at-introduction, so there
were two manifolds out in the market on nearly identical motors (199 vs.
232). Perceived market-use? Was some big fleet (telephone companies,
etc) demanding some sort of cold-weather thing with the 199, so AMC just
did it across the board? Or is it some sort of left-hand-lugnut silliness?

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"