[Amc-list] Gonna Use the F Word

Fiberglass.  I was cleaning up the trunk on the 65 Rambler today, getting ready to install the Mustang fuel tank underneath.  This car reportedly sat in a barn in Pasadena, CA for over twenty years.  The barn had a leaky roof so the car, while sheltered from most of the elements, got rained on.  The trunk gasket leaked and water sat under the trunk pad, rusting out the driver's side of the trunk floor.  I'm cleaning it up with 3M disks and plan to smooth out the jagged metal. I'll try to etch out some of the rust with a commercial rust dissolver product.  I forget the names of the brands that I have on the shelf right now.  Then coat with Eastwood Rust Encapsulator, then use a big fiberglass patch. Paint, then reinstall the pad which is in good reusable condition.

There's plenty of good metal left to bolt the Mustang tank to.  I'll patch the floor with fiberglass because this car will be a driver and no one will ever see the patch anyway under the trunk pad.  Heck, it'll have a Mustang fuel tank in it anyway.  I like to keep the stock but sometimes the economics just work against you.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA