Re: [Amc-list] Stupid question of the day (vent shade variations/install

Re: [Amc-list] Stupid question of the day (vent shade variations/install)

My 83 Jeep J-10 has that type! Could be that the screw or clip types were used with the steel door/window frames, the aluminum frames got no clips or screws. I have no idea when the ones on my truck were put there or by whom, probably the previous owner. The first owner was the state of Delaware, and I doubt they put anything extra on it at all. I seem to recall the PO telling me that he installed the AM/FM radio (a genuine AMC item!) from a Cherokee (FSJ) he had for parts... got the bucket seats and fold down armrest from it for sure. Vent shades may have come from it, and I have no idea what year it may have been or where/when the shades may have come from. Could be just older stock, maybe even varied by region.

------------
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 21:42:07 +0000
From: Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx

The very early stainless shades actually required two or three little holes be drilled and tiny little screws up into the door frames!
   They were a beyotch to do. I remember being a kid watching my dad install those buggers and cursing because he had broken yet another 1/16" drill bit.  I learned all my best phrases there watching that.

I'd be real surprised if those are around though!
I would not doubt those particular shades were bought from the cheapest third party vendor they could find, knowing dealer and rambler mentality of the day!  You could tell if you have those. They had a little dimples where the screws went.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"