Re: [Amc-list] Rambler content (new 4.0L six wishes)

Re: [Amc-list] Rambler content (new 4.0L six wishes)

" From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
"
" I wouldn't mess with the block at all, just cast a new cross-flow
" cylinder head! I wonder how close the Aussie slant six hemi head
" is to the 4.0L bore spacing, bore, and head bolt pattern? Now if
" that could be modified to fit you'd just about have what you want!

not close at all, i think.  the slant is a small small-bore [3.4"]
long stroke engine, but the aussie hemi is a large small-bore long
stroke much like the old mopar flathead, which lasted into the '60s
and had similar displacement.  it was originally designed as a dodge
truck engine - presumably to replace the flathead - but never saw
production here before it was shipped off to australia.

" A new front with double overhead cams (or even a single!) would be
" nice too. there's the slim possibility of modding an old Pontiac
" OHC head to fit, but like the slant six hemi I doubt the
" bore/spacing/bolt pattern are close enough. Pushrods for the hemi
" might be as much "fun" as modding the front for the OHC belt and
" cover.

there's interesting chevy bore-spacing legacy in that poncho.  the sbc
bores are on 4.4" centers; the 194/230/250/292 inline also has 4.4"
centers, so the ohc derivative does too.  but the 2.8/3.1/3.4 v6s also
have 4.4" centers, and i saw where someone was trying to cut and weld
2 z34 dual cam 4 valve heads into one for the ohc6.  bonus win - bolt
pattern is identical too.

it's very unlikely that the amc 6 shares spacing and pattern with any
other engine.  i would've hoped it had something in common with the
amc v8...