----------
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 13:36:46 -0800
From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
oldcars@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > Frank,
> >
> >    I had a good look and found that the front seal of the T96 seems to have
> > failed, and that is the source of the grease all over the gearbox and a lot
> > of the undercarriage.

I just put one of these together... there isn't a seal in the front
shaft... there is a slinger disc internally, and the nose (throwout
bearing rides on it) has a gasket and a drainback hole. Not much to it!
Is the trans overfilled somehow?

More likely I think would be the top cover gasket. Rotation flings oil
up, that would run down the trans nose and sides.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"