Re: [Amc-list] Convertible conversion?

I am way to far away to deal with shipping, but I have a spare windshield from a 65. Wish I could get it to him.
Has he priced a new one or contacted Eddie steaks....

As for vert conversions.
I read the article in Hotrod in about 84-85 about doing the conversion on That series Mustangs.
The roof assembly would be a beyotch.  The Mustand project used a scratch built frame and I bet it was a nightmare!
The body takes wome serious, serious bracing!  We're talking full length tubes inside both rockers, diagonal bracing etc; Lots of it.

   The xtra bracing is extreme and there is a bunch of it. Even with all that the body still has some flex in them!  Though I must admit my 65 is about the most non flexy car I have ever had! I swear my 69 American has more leeway when jacked diagonally! The American gets a slight misalignment, but not much and the doors still close well.
   The conv is dead on perfect! The doors still close right on the money. I was impressed the first tim I had occasion to check for flex. That's the main reason I saved it.

    The only ways I would consider doing a roof to convert conversion would be if a convert was not available in the body style I desired or I was willing to build with a rollcage and no top!!!

    If you add a nice 6-8 or higher point cage to stiffen the car then you take some of the load off the floor area.
Likewise if you weld the doors in and add some internal bracing in them you also make things easier.

     I'd look for a convert in that body as they were made, unless I am mistaken.  Otherwise I'd consider doing it as either the rollcage version with no top or give up.  Hopping the doors to get in and out would grow old fast!

  Oh, if you want to do an altered drop me a line! I think you can reskin the 65 to make it into a 64, then move the rear axle forward, shorten the front inner fenders and move the 64 front wheel openings forward. You could build an altered wheelbase convert !

--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV

From: Joe Fulton <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx>