Re: [Amc-list] Rear Helper Springs

The helper springs come in different widths and lengths. I prefer to be RM about it and score a used set of also sagging ones, take the main leaf and whichever is the better curved, becomes the main of my pack and it's "off with the eyes!" of the other one, which becomes #2 in the pack. It takes awhile for it to break back in, but since I pack ALL sorts of junk in my cars, they break in pretty quick.

From: Frank Swygert
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Rear Helper Springs
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx, Bruce Griffis

If hte rear is sagging a lot, you probably don't want the helper springs. They would be a good temporary solution (maybe a couple years) until you get the rear springs replaced or re-arched. Check the local spring shops (try the yellow pages -- maybe try driveline repair?). If the springs are in good condition they can be re-arched cheaper than replacement, but probably won't last as long as replacements would.

The helper springs work fine to stiffen existing springs, that's really what they are made for. There's usually a big rivet that can be placed in several positions for additional overload capacity. I leave the rivet out to stiffen the springs, and the added load is spread over a large area. When the rivet is used it puts more stress right under the rivet head, that's what Mark was talking about. I don't usually do that. If you want to jack up the rear look at a full leaf type overload spring. One type bolts under the existing spring and has a piece on each end that extends beyond the center. There is a "shackle" that goes over the existing spring that can be tightened to bring the rear up, or loosened so that it does nothing until the spring is compressed a certain amount first.

A quick check just revealed truck helper springs. Not much call for car types anymore! If you need to prop up a sagging rear end you might consider air helpers springs. The bolt-on truck kits could be used with a little fab work on the brackets.