[Amc-list] !!@@#$@$ clutch linkage

I think I'm having a problem with my clutch linkage... I put a new
clutch in the American this last spring? I forget. Had trouble with the
fabric pivot support, made one of of sheet steel. Works fine, still OK
down there.

But the clutch is "all in" right at the top of the pedal travel. I can't
figure it out! It was like that when I installed the new one. New disc,
pressure plate, and TO bearing. All exact replacements.

Clutch works fine. No slippage. Pedal play is fine. So no performance
issues at all.

Even a worn-out clutch doesn't affect pedal TRAVEL. Even worn down to
the center, you just lengthen the adjuster rod and all the geometry
stays the same. Mine's not worn though, and hasn't needed adjustment of
course, only 7000 miles.

Twice I went under there with a light to see what it would take to
create this problem. About the only thing that COULD move is the
"inside" pivot of the Z bar. (It's not a Z in this car, it's a classic
bellcrank.) The plane it rotates on isn't *exactly* perpendicular to the
driveline, but it's close. It's also level. The motor mounts are all new
and tight.

The bellcrank does have that peculiar forked rubber insulated thing;
make a fist in each hand, stick out your two big fingers parallel,
rotate one 90 degrees and stick your fingers together all 4 beside each
other. WOrks like that. No one around today to press the pedal while I
climb under to look.

Anyone else have this happen? Does anyone on this list drive an American
manual trans? how's your clutch pedal feel and act?