Re: [Amc-list] Big three bailout

" From: Joe Fulton <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" --- On Fri, 12/12/08, Sandwich Maker <adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"
" > From: Sandwich Maker <adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
" > Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Big three bailout
" > To: Amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
" > Date: Friday, December 12, 2008, 6:30 AM
" > " From: Joe <jgray_55@xxxxxxxxx>
" > "
"
" > that article did explain about retirees.  if the number is
" > right, they only add $800/car, not very significant.
"
" You've got to be kidding.  $800 per car is huge.  Do you remember the
" old Alex Haley novel "Wheels" where they were fighting over a $5 part?
" That wasn't all fiction.

agreed; accountants always try to squeeze the nickels out, especially
back when detroit was king.  but if you're looking at 2 $20k [or more]
cars, is $800 gonna change your mind?  it wouldn't be top of my list.

" > gonna take pay concessions, mgmt shouldn't make more than
" > honda's or toyota's either.
"
" And how much to those Jap fat cats make?  Does anyone know?

it is not in their tradition to take the kind of bloated salaries our
execs [not just in the auto industry] get.

" > otoh i hear the biggest resistance to the bailout comes
" > from senators
" > with foreign car plants in their districts...  that's
" > 'politics as usual'.	:^*
"
" And how did those plants get where they are?  The locals and the state
" goverment gave them huge tax incentives, low cost land, and they chose
" areas which are traditionally nonunion.  It's not a level playing field
" and it never has been.  Why is there so much resentment about the U.S.
" companies when we all like this old rusty U.S. made iron?  What a paradox?

...and those foreign companies played all those states against each
other to get the best deal - and now it's not in -their- best interest
to bail the competition out.

do you suppose michigan or the other rust belt states never gave any
special considerations to the big 3?

hey, it's -just-business- [and politics]...  machiavelli talks a lot
of sense.

" I'd rather see bridge loans made to U.S. businesses than giving
" financial breaks to homeowners who made stupid decisions about buying a
" house and signing a mortgage they couldn't afford.  And just like Lee
" Iacocca did, the U.S. companies if they stay in business, can be
" expected to repay those loans.

i don't see why businesses that made stupid decisions are any more
entitled to bailout or loans than homeowners that made stupid
decisions [or were sold a bill of goods by greedy bankers].