Re: [Amc-list] it's snowing in houston

" From: "Eddie Stakes" <eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" Eh, you yanquis probably don't see the significance of it as see it every
" year and some places piles of the stuff. Here it is a real treat. It snowed
" on and off today and tonight a really good dusting. Will make for a great
" rush hor tomorrow in Houston when those folks who moved here from up north
" try to drive in it again or those from south american countries and middle
" east and asia who may/may not be here legally or may/probably don't have
" insurance much less license (eh, ok, you can still get them at flea market
" for $10) and have never seen snow or ice on ground attempt to drive on slick
" icy streets should be quite a treat to see that.

my brother told a story about his first winter in dallas as a newly
minted teacher.  he's driving to the school one bright morning and it
occurs to him, gee the roads are kind of empty...  there'd been a
light snow / hard frost / sleet and he from the north didn't think
anything of it until he saw a fellow motorist lock his brakes and
slide across an 8-lane highway into a bridge abutment...
...at 20mph.

when he got to school he found that half the parents had kept their
children home because 'it was just too dangerous out there'.

single-digit temps [fahrenheit] are not unknown in dallas and i was
astounded to learn that the agriculture dept reckons it only one
climatic zone [avg lowest temp, 10f steps] warmer than here, north of
boston.  otoh what we call a heatwave if it lasts for 3 days you call
summer and it lasts for 3 months.