Re: [Amc-list] TBI fuel injection tuning.detonation

Joe Fulton wrote:

> What about a knock sensor?  I'm not familiar with the technology
> used, but you could mount one in an appropriate port on the engine
> and just connect it to a light on the dash.  Perhaps just JB Weld a
> knock sensor bung to the block somewhere.

I guess I shoudl try one out it can't hurt. It's wierd that this engine
will not ping -- see if yours does! I wonder if the knock sensor would
work on an engine that doesn't make that loud noise.

> I'm planning to play with the timing on my 196 too and to use the
> wide band oxygen sensor to tune the carb.  And now that I think about
> it, it would have been a good idea to smooth the rough spots on the
> pistons before I assembled my 196.  I'll try to remember to do that
> if I ever have to open it back up.

I wonder if it's worth it, the whole piston is a sharp edge :-) When
its' up at the top, there's a 1/16" - 1/8" space between the popup crown
the the cyl walls. That just screams 'dead spot'. Somehow, it works.