Re: [Amc-list] AMC V8 Dist

Yes, you are right and I even have one of my trucks with a Pertronix right now!  I don't know how I left them out, but they are another cost effective option if you have a points vehicle... very easy to install and everything stays stock... except the voltage output and hassles of points!

I have only used this once and it was because I had a 304 with points.  My apologies to the Pertronix folks for the oversight.

To me, the best option depends on what you have available to start with:

If you current dist is points, go with Pertronix

If you have a Prestolite, replace it with an HEI

If you have a MCraft, go with a "TFI/HEI" setup

I bet some of you will shout me down saying how your Prestolite lasted 40 years with the stock rotor, or how points are simple and easily replaced incase of nuclear war, fine, all true.  Regardless for a modified engine, the stock spark is just not there quickly or powerfully enough.

Yes, some will say that the HEI has the problem of spark jumping off the screws to the metal base... over 7000 rpm, maybe!  If you have an AMC V8 spinning that fast, buy the plastic screws from MSD. Otherwise you sould be OK!

I have used all these mods with satisfying success.