[Amc-list] Gen3 V8 distributors

The 304 in my Jav came to me with a Mallory Dual Point unit (#2560001).
The engine was rebuilt in the 80s, and was refitted with a midrange
cam, Torker, and 625CFM Carter AFB. It's got minor issues, but it runs
well enough to drive while I build up something with more (ahem)
attitude.

I really have no wish to mess with a Dual Point. It works OK,
but doesn't have a vacuum advance, which (I think) is a problem
for a street car. I can apparently retrofit it with electronic
guts, but I can't add the vacuum advance. So, best thing may be
just to replace it with something else.

HEI seems like the simplest way to go, but I don't trust the
quality of some of the stuff in the aftermarket. Just getting
a rebuilt for some GM application seems easy enough to do, but
I don't know what I don't know to make it fit.

So, starting questions:

* Any difference between 71 and 74? I see some AMC-specific parts
  that say 72-up. What could be the difference? I can't imagine
  why there'd be any mechanically. (Reason I ask is that the
  existing engine is a 71, but there's a 74 360 I'm working on
  to eventually take it's place).

* Are there suggested GM target donors I should look at for
  compatible oil pump drive, rotation, length, etc?

Thanks,
- steve c.