[Amc-list] Weber 32/36 DGEV Issue

I've had one of the 32/36 DGEV carbs on the 258 in my Spirit for a couple of
years now.  The instructions say that the fuel pressure should only be 3.5
pounds and they recommend using a fuel pressure regulator.  I've also seen a
couple of forums that talk about how much better the carb ran with a
regulator.  I finally got around to buying one and installing it this
weekend.

It seemed to run pretty good, until I went up a hill.  Trying to pull a hill
the whole car would start to buck.  It made you thing of someone trying to
drive a manual transmission the first time.  It died two or three times
getting up that hill.  I got back home, took the regulator off and tried the
same hill again.  Ran fine.

I had put the regulator between the fuel filter and the carb.  This engine
uses one of the split fuel filters that has a return line to the tank, so I
thought maybe that was the problem.  I switched things around and put the
regulator before the fuel filter.  Same problem.  Took the regulator back off
and runs fine.

Any ideas?  Did I just waste $30 on this regulator?

Thanks,

Todd