Re: [Amc-list] Heater Valve for 65 American

Joe Fulton wrote:
> Ok, I'm at the point where I need to decide on a heater valve for my
> American with the 196.  Tom J. mentioned a NAPA replacement.  I could
> use that part number if it would be simple to install.

My spreadsheet says:

63 American	heater valve	NAPA 660-1141	5/8" in and out, cable PULL=open

There's a 6" long pipe screwed into the head; mine was fine. I stick the
heater hose onto this, ran it up to the valve. It's working fine, though
I wish there was a bit more range at the low-heat end of things.

Oh yeah, this valve really cares about water flow direction. Get it
backwards and it won't go all the way off! Easy to flip around.

Also, you can unscrew the cable holder and crank and flip them 180.
There's a 660-1271 part with reverse cable direction (PULL=close). I
used that on the Hornet. I forget which of those two is in the Classic.