[Amc-list] 1956 Rambler "Facts"

There's a 1956 Rambler sedan for sale fairly near me and I'm tempted by it, so I bought a 1956 Rambler brochure off Ebay.  I got the Canadian version (and Hudson at that), but I don't think there were any differences except for badges between Nash and Hudson by 1956.

Some interesting things in the brochure:

The 195.6 OHV engine was brand new that year and advertised as the TYPHOON six.  AMC got a lot of use out of the name TYPHOON.

There's a Custom Rambler wagon with fake wood trim on the sides that extends to ABOVE the side and rear quarter windows.  Strange styling indeed.

The Rambler Custom models were available with leather seating.  The brochure puts emphasis on the Rambler as a low priced car, but leather seating was available.

Directional signals were still an option.  IN 1956?

There's a tortional deflection "chart" in the brochure comparing the force necessary to cause 2/3 of a degree of body deflection on the Rambler to two unnamed high priced cars.  The Rambler (with unit body construction) requires over twice the force as the high priced cars.

Back up lights are advertised as Back-O-Matic lights and the single barrel carb (might be a Carter AS) is called a Uniflow Jet carb.

Rambler is advertised as the first low-priced car with air conditioning.  Really?

Advertised fuel economy is up to 30 miles per gallon, but the Mobil Gas Economy run winning Rambler made 27.47 MPG.

Hey, I'm sold.  Now where is that phone number?  Seriously, I love the dash the the turned metal bezel and the round radio and matching "something else, can make it out" tuning knobs.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA