Re: [Amc-list] 390 vs. 401 crank casting numbers ....

Here is what Tom Benvie had posted... (way back when...)     Crankshaft
Numbers
From: Thomas M. Benvie / Subject: Crank Numbers  /   Date: Saturday,
October 31, 1998
I have a minute here so I thought I would send the following casting
numbers from a 1982 TRW catalog.

The first number is the crankshaft forging number, the second number is
the stroke.  Sorry, don't have time to match them up with the CID, and
the years aren't listed, but it is a start.

300102-3 1/2"
313033F-4"
440774-3 1/2"
3105305-3 3/4"
3124294F-4 1/4"
3124725-3.68"
3125974-3 3/4"
3127261-4"
3127501F-3 3/4"
3128562-4 3/8"
3130331F-4"
3130368-4 1/4"
3134294-4 1/4"
3160035-3.5"
3160110-3.75"
3162394-4 1/4"
3165562-4"
3169034-3.5"
3169035F-4 1/4"
3172216-3"
3172218-3.5"
3172249-3"
3178451C-3.28"
3188947-3.5"
3190792F-3.57"
3190797-3.57"
3190798-3.57"
3183816-3.28"
3195292-3.44"
3196921-3.68"
3196922-3.68"
3199738C-3.9"
3199842-3.68"
3203082-3 3/4"
3204904-3.5"
3214722-3.5"
3214723-3.9"
3214724-3.44"
3214725-3.68"
3220411-3.68"
4487237-3.44"
RD51261-3.44"
RD67703-3.9"
==============

THERE IS ALSO A SHORT LIST OF CONNECTING ROD FORGING NUMBERS , but no
reference to engine size, etc-

707
3143739
3144468
3145607
3145608
3174472
3197047

There is a second list for reconditioned rods with the following numbers
(not recommended for performance applications).  The forging number is
followed by the center-to-center measurement:

3145608-6.625
3144468-6.375

707-5.875-2 listed with different bore size2.2082/83, pin dia. .9306/08,
width at bore end 1.054/0.985

3174472-6.620
3143739-5.790
3197047-5.859

 There is also one with no forging numbers but with center-to-center
measurement of 6.12

Now maybe we can accomplish something if people would look at their
parts and positively match the numbers to year and engine size.  This
might not be helpful to 99% of you, but it could be very valuable to the
other 1%, so please help out.

Trying to find the flywheel book next.....More later.

Thomas M. Benvie
East Bridgewater, MA 02333
Ralph Ausmann  -  Hillsboro, OR - >