Re: [Amc-list] Pacer Front End

"Dan Strohl" <DStrohl@xxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

>Not to go OT away from AMC, but I'd always read that GM designed the
>Monza to take the rotary, then when they couldn't get the rotary
>approved, continued on with the Monza just as AMC continued on with the
>Pacer, thus the overlap of the Monza and the Vega in the market for a
>couple of years.

That's actually correct.

However, the Monza was intended mostly to be a futuristic-looking skin wrapping the standard Vega platform, to make it look slick for the new Wankel engine.

So much for great ideas.

>I'd always read that the Citation was always intended
>to appear just as it appeared - a FWD, conventional-engined replacement
>for the RWD X-body (Nova, Phoenix/Ventura, Apollo, Omega).

Yep.

Unfortunately they were also rather poorly-planned replacements that never really lived up to the hype.

The X-body was to compete with other FWD midsize cars like the Accord, Corona, and Cressida.

MARC MONTONI
Richmond VA
Cu vi parolas Esperanton?
Freedom.  Responsibility.  www.LP.org
I'd rather push a Rambler than drive a Toyota.
Visit www.AMCRC.com or www.AMONational.com .