Re: [Amc-list] Amc-list Digest, Vol 22, Issue 80 (auto trans)

Re: [Amc-list] Amc-list Digest, Vol 22, Issue 80 (auto trans)

Frank Swygert wrote:

My experiences with the old BW autos:

That reluctance to change or flush fluid: Every one of the horror
stories I've heard ("it was working OK, but once I changed the fluid, it
stopped working" type things) were very old, unrebuilt transmissions
usually with unknown histories; it's not hard to imagine grit and crud
laying dormant on the bottom of passageways swept up into the fluid...

If the transmission was serviced AT ALL (fluid change/adjust more than
rarely) it's a GOOD IDEA to change fluids regularly. Screw the TSM here;
I can personally attest that frequent (every 2 - 4 years) service will
extend the running life (between rebuilds) and overall life of the
transmission.

The AMCRC tech guy invoked magical mumbo jumbo on this subject, and I
just realized that I forgot to write him about it. He's flat wrong.

You could certainly argue that, for a 40+ year old transmission that's
"working", sees little use, and you cannot at this time afford a full
teardown, then OK, meddling with it by dropping the pan may be asking
for trouble; just keep it topped off. Otherwise, it's just a nice
predictable repairable chunk of metal like the rest of the car.

Fluids, type F, A, Dexron, Dexron III, etc... without exception, every
reputable pro shop that I've discussed this with says that modern fluids
are so superior in every way to ones from the 1960's that whatever
differences there are are swamped by the improvements. All recommended
Dexron for the Borg Warner.

I run Dexron III in my air-cooled M35 in my Classic wagon behind a 232.
Rebuilt last year, then in 1989, when it was an OK running core with
90,000 miles on it. It's got 300+K on it now. It runs perfectly, and I
use it fairly hard. I get a tuneup/fluid change every 2 - 3 years ($100
a shot). It's a cheap way to ensure I can just get in the thing and
drive it anywhere at any time. The last thing I want is troubles with
antique transmission 500 miles from home!