----------
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 22:01:51 -0700
From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

On Sunday the idle on the 63 American got a bit bumpy. 4000 or so miles
on the plugs, thought it was time for a look-see. Tightened all the
screws on the carb real tight. (Just kidding, tweaked idle mixture
lean-drop.) Did a compression check since all the plugs were out...

Man, I can't believe this car was gonna be parted out.

Compression is 135-145 all cylinders, except #6 was 130. Have to drag
out my notes to see what it was in the spring, but if anything, it's
improved.

The plugs were *perfect*. No ash, completely consistently faint beige.
Gaps had all opened to about .042, I dropped 'em back to .035 - .040.
Like textbook perfect.

It seeps oil all over! Rear seal drops a puddle of a dozen drops over
night. It may be that it's worth dropping the pan to shut that stuff off
and see if I can pull that Best rear seal in. Never did that before!

I gotta get the ignition timing under control. My hacks to the
distributor gives me too much advance under 1600 or so, (bumpy from
advance) but pretty good at 1800-up. Knocked it back to 6PBTDC static
(was 8) and that did it (with vacuum it's like 25 degrees at idle!) I
can't get enough mechanical range out of it. I really need to make a
junkyard run for an HEI distrib  (will I find one out there?) small TBI,
a MAP sensor to play with, and who knows what other fun stuff.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"