Re: [Amc-list] Roller lifters for a 6 cylinder

Jeep racers want a somewhat affordable roller cam and lifters! The stoker list guys (http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/) have worked out putting a set of roller lifters in from the top. IIRC one end of the lifter link is slotted all the way to the end so that one lifter with link is installed then the link lifted with a piece of wire and the one next to it is lowered in place in the lifter bore and link. The killer was an affordable cam. There was a group buy effort being worked on last I recall, don't know where that went. May have dropped off due to the several parties interested wanting different grinds, or not knowing where to start. A good 4.0L stock replacement (maybe slightly hotter) and a good "RV/towing/rock climbing" cam would be the two to start with IMHO, with a high rpm "mudder" cam following.

-------------
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 20:53:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: Nick ALFANO <71amx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hey guys.? I haven't been on?the list much later.? I have just not had the time?not to mention the list was bouncing to my spam mail for some reason.?? You know, out of site out of mind.? Anyway, I read someone say something about AMC 6 cylinders?and roller cams.? Is there?an interest?in that.??My sales rep from Crane has talked?to me about it a couple times?in the past.? No one currently make a roller cam and lifters for an AMC 258.??I am not sure there are enough guys out there willing to put up the money for?a roller cam combo in a?6 but I could be wrong.? If there is?enough interest?(I don't mean the typical?"I would like one"), I can pursue it further.? Might take a while?but I would be willing to do it if I got?people to commit to a kit.?

Let me hear your feed back.? I am building a?6 right now with a nice size cam, 9.5:1 compression, 4 bbl?intake and carb, ported head and dual outlet header for?our Gremlin.? I would have put a?roller cam in it if they were available.? I am a big fan of roller cams as most of you know.? The?power gains and over all performance?of them can't be beat for the money on the street or strip.? Plus, flat tappet cams are too prone to failure.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"