From: Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: AMC/Rambler owners, drivers and fans. <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 1:23 pm
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Classic Brakes

I think the 62 only has the one hole, but you could always drill more.
I actually did this on my American!
before I knew WTF I was doing I adapted a 79 Mustang disc master to it.
The pedal was too low to the floor, so I welded up the original hole
and
redrilled a new one to move the pedal off the floor and up slightly
toward the
master.
It was all planned out, well maybe not, works good though.

I'll second the motion to always buy new masters when you can!
I'm on my seocnd rebuilt Mustang unit. First one only lasted about a
year. This
one seems good.

--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV

From: Ken Ames <ameskg@xxxxxxxxx>
> Had a similar problem on a Concord. The rod to the master cylinder
was
connected
> to the brake pedal in the wrong spot. Seems there are 2 holes in the
brake
> pedal, 1 for manual brakes, 1 for power. Sounds like yours might be
in the
hole
> furthest away from the pivot - try moving it to the one closer.
Worked for
me.
> Don't know if it will apply in your case - not that familiar with
early 60s.

> Ken
>

> Quoting mask1966@xxxxxxx:
>

> > Hey Guys,
> > I finally picked up the '62 Rambler Classic Custom I bought a few
of
> > weeks ago. It is everything and more (41K original miles is very
nice
> > condition) I hoped for. It has it's problems, but the one I find
the
> > most disturbing is the brakes or lack of. The master cylinder was
> > rebuilt last year and wheel cylinders replaced the year before, but
the
> > braking is poor at best. It takes a lot of pedal pressure just to
slow
> > down at city speeds. Road speeds are really scary. It has manual
brakes
> > (no power) and does not pull either left or right. It just takes a
long
> > time to slow down. Is this the norm for this model or do I have a
> > problem? How does your braking compare? I thought with a dual M/C
and
> > new W/C, this thing should stop at least as good as my '53 Ford and
'65
> > Chevy with drums. Give a new AMC owner a little help before I rear
end
> > someone.
> >
> > Also my temp gauge does not work. A previous owner installed an
> > accessory type gauge under the dash, but I would like to fix the
stock
> > unit and get rid of the after market junk. Is the stock gauge
electric
> > or bourdon tube type? How should I start to check it out/fix it?
> >
> > I appreciate any and all help I can get with these problems. I know
> > there are years of experience working with AMC iron out there.
Thanks