Re: [Amc-list] Brake Woe's

From: "Neil Shaw" <n.shaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> I'm having to pump the brake peddle on the Jav to get it to stop. (Peddle will
> fade to the floor and then pumping will stop the car.) I checked the fluid
> levels and they have not gone down. This tells me master cylinder trouble. Would
> this be your consensus also?
Yes, probably so, but check all your wheel cylinders etc; for leakage!

>If so, is it rebuildable or should I simply replace
> it?

Rebuildable? Yes.
 Should you?
Probably not as usually you will encounter pitted bores and the kit is not enough to fix the problem, plus they a e a pain to rebuild anyway. Don't turn in the core till you are 100% sure you have wokring correct brakes again! Sometimes the rebuilds are not correct and you need that original, hopefully correct one to compare.

>Car has power steering, does this cause any issues replacing it that would
> make it hard for me to do myself?
No, P/S will not get in the way of a master cylinder. Be sure you understand the principles of installing and bleeding the system! be aware you may need wheel cylinders etc; if you can't get the bleeders in them free'd up.

--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV