Re: [Amc-list] 7 Main Bearing engine into 62 Classic

Re: [Amc-list] 7 Main Bearing engine into 62 Classic

After having a good look at things, I have come to think that I might want
to use the 1967 199 instead of the later 232.

The 1967 199 should bolt up to the 1962 bell housing, which means I can
retain the rear mounts as are already in place.
I imagine I would have to use the 1967 starter
I should be able to use the 1962 flywheel and clutch internals...or would I
need to use the 1967 flywheel?

Now, as far as the transmission itself goes, the top bolts and the bearing
retainer look to be in the exact same location on both transmissions.
The difference is in the lower 2 bolts.
It looks like the lower holes from the 62 would line up on the outside of
the transmission case of the 67.
So...I am thinking I could make a pair of brackets which would bolt to the
lower holes in the 1962 bellhousing, and to the lower holes (ears) on the
1967 transmission.

That way there would be no space between the front face of the transmission
and the bellhousing rear face.

If it became necessary to make a plate which would bolt to all 6 holes (top
2 bolts would bolt through the plate, the plate would bolt to the bottom 2
holes on the bellhousing, and to the bottom holes (ears)on the
transmission.
How thick could I get away with making such a plate?
Eventually it would interfere with the tip of the input shaft being in the
bearing at the back of the crankshaft.

I would prefer not to have to disassemble both transmissions and move all
the internals over from the 67 to the 62.