    Posted by: "eric reed" intenseimages2002@xxxxxxxxx intenseimages2002
    Date: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:25 pm ((PDT))

i am chiming in a little late on the discussion here as i just got home. however, i can add a little bit of info that i didnt see mentioned in any of the 9 other replies.
while everybody is on the right track as for what would need changed to run E85 there is one vital thing missing that i didnt see posted anywhere.
the same item would also effect how propane or CNG was burnt in your engine. that item would be compression ratio. the only way to get comparable mileage to gasoline by running one of the alternate fuels is to have a lot of engine work done to boost compression.

having done quite an extensive research and discussion on this very topic i finally came to the conclusion that unless i wanted to spend a ton of money boosting my compression to at least a 12:1 ratio that the economic feasability of running any of the 3 mentioned alternate fuels just wasnt there. so you are looking at leaving engine mostly stock and burning twice as much fuel to get the same output of gasoline. or, you have to spend a ton of money to build your engine to burn E85, Propane, or CNG properly to get the same kind of mileage.

economically it just does not make sense to convert one to run E85. now, if you already have a 12:1 or higher compression engine and want to use E85 in it, then, you will not only see a dramatic increase in power but also a very comparable mileage figure in comparison to gas.

eric