Re: [Amc-list] Rings?

Unless it's a race car or something that will be pushed a lot I'd use standard cast rings. Chrome-molys last longer but are hard to seat in a relatively slow turning engine like the AMC six. I used them twice, and had problems getting the rings to seat. On the first one I literally had to overheat the engine (like boiling over overheating!) before the rings would seat (it was a 196 L-head). The second time took a lot of hard running and over 2000 miles before they were fully seated. For a mostly street car it's just not worth it! Standard rings should seat in the first 500 miles and last over 100K if the engine isn't run extremely hot or overheated too many times and otherwise taken care of. I've had a couple engines with stock type cast rings go nearly 200K before they started using much oil and noticeably lose power (compression).

---------
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 01:42:27 +0000
From: Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hey, I asked around about ring choices when doing a basic rebuild type thing in a non bored block.
I received zip answers! nada...
Anyone have any thoughts on what rings I should use in this build?
Good standard bore block, nice and clean, no ridge at all, none.
Pistons are coated skirt standard bores.
Do I use moly rings or do I use plain old cast rings and replace them sooner, if needed?
I seriously do not think I will wear out a set of cast rings in this motor with my current usage level.
I do question whether it is a non issue? Will the current moly rings seat and work fine in this type of rebuild?

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"