Re: [Amc-list] 304 head swap

I have similar probs with the 454 in my '81 C20. Pulls like a Bull Moose headed for his herd during rutting season, but only up to 2900 RPM. Then it goes dead flat (it was way worse before I replaced the ground wire in the dist cap. Couldn't go past 2300 RPM) It'll smoke the tires, even with the 5th wheel on the back. (or hauling a '77 F350 12' flatbed with a J4000 on top)

From: Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] 304 head swap
To: "AMC/Rambler owners, drivers and fans."

My brother did a Ford build with new 80's era 5.0L heads on a 70 spec 351 Windosr.
You know small valves and all, he bought htem cheap from a shop that had installed GT40 heads on a customers new mustang.
   It ran similar to what you report.
Absolutely awesome bottmo end torque untill about 4-45--rpm. then it just flattened out and stopped pulling.
  Great gas mileage, great dirveability. The only time you knew something wasn't there was if you tried to rev it bast 4000 rpm.
   I had a 390 cfm holley on a 5.0L Mustang. It added the same atributes to it. Strong torque and bottom end, but it would not rev past about 3700rpm.

Bruce is right on the money on this.
I've seen the results of big valves in small motors. I knocks the crap out of your bottom end.
I doubt they are what you want in a torque motor for a Fullsize 80's Grand Cherokee.
   You might wan to consider finding the good 304 heads and have them worked with small valves and stems etc; It would keep the velocity up and help torque.

I don't remember what you said the heads were originally ported for, but seats and smaller valves may not be enough to do the trick.

--
Mark Price