--------------
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 10:39:26 -0700
From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

Jim Blair wrote:

> > Tom, I just happen to have an AMC 2.5L from my son's '88 MJ along
> > with the carb and intake from his girlfriend's '85 Cherokee and 2wd
> > AX-5. Any measurements you need?

Wow, thanks! I'm not really sure where to start -- I'm fairly sure
length (front to rear) isn't a problem, but side to side, oil pan hump,
exhaust outlet, radiator hose connections, all that rot.

The little American is ... little! You'd have a hard time believing just
how small the motor hole is. It's REALLY small, like 20-something inches
wide.

(THe whole car is small; with my hands fully on the steering wheel, my
fingers lay on the dashboard. It's well laid out, but it's small.)

The 195.6, from the "flat" of the side of the head where the exhaust
manifold is, to the sheet metal of the inner fender, is like 6".

I think I need to do a quick "survey" to figure out what measurements
are needed! A cardboard mockup engine would be really nice to have or
make. (VintageAir sells cardboard mockups of their built-in AC/heater
units, it's a great idea).

Thanks for the offer though, I might bug you later after I know what
questions to ask!

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"