Re: [Amc-list] modern six in an old-six hole

From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
>> I spoze I should shop around for a cheap non-WC T-5 "now". I assume the
> non-WC will be easier to find and cheaper? I'd settle for T-4. I wish
> there was a 4 speed side-shifter with the T-14/T-96 front pattern...
> otherwise I have to buy (R.M....) the Pony adapter.

Not sure it will make much difference in the cost of the trans anymore.
What I do for items like this since we do not have any real pull a part yards close is I set up ebay searchs and just keep watching, sooner or later something comes across the blocks that's a deal, but you get burned once and a while too :[

> > So with the head and all done you can freshen everything in that block and do
> a swap over. Give you a chance to see if that clutch noise is anything to worry
> about too!
>
> The clutch noise totally went away the 2nd day after. It must have been
> crap blown in with the power washer.

YAY!

> >    I got some cabling to do and I'm going to do a similar thing with my
> stroker.
> > Get the block cleaned up and inspect it good. Then I'll go ahead assemble the
> shortblock.
> > I'll have it ready to go in something as soon as I figureout what!  The
> assembled shortblock will take up less room than the parts do.
>
> Good point on the space issue!! Yeah, winter is time to stack metal
> parts into engines!

That's my plan, I also found out last night I got better deal than I thought. Since these are the non metric ring pistons the rings are half the cost of the metric ringed versions, like $39.99 compared to $80! They have a racket going. Metric pistons are $20 each, rings are $80 a set. Standard ring pistons r $29.99ea rings are $39.99. What a rip as you know the pistons are cut from the same molds!

> If you get the chance, put a tape measure to the T-5, mounting face to
> shifter center...

It's on the bench, I need to stick the tailhousing on it and measure it. I will do so shortley. I saw at one time a web page that listed all th eshifter placements, all Of them! For the T5 and can't find it now!
I was going to sell off the AMC T5 and use the Ford, but I'm hesitant now. I think I might do the Ford Trans as-is and buy a shifter and keep the AMC tarns for the driver. I'm leaning hard towards wanting to do one. If I'm able.

> Good luck with the shoulder! Is it one of those worse-in-the-winter things?

Yeah. it's worse in the winter. I got Lortabs now,the Good 10-325 ones, so I can get by till January anyway as that's when the Orthopedic doc will decide if I've magiacally gotten better POOF, yer healed!!!
  I got to run some cable TV lines, run a new lead for the Modem and rewire for proper distribution as the way the cable company did it. I can't change anything or I lose signal clarity, internet and on demand :[  I boght a top of the line dual direction 8 way splitter that should do the trick and then I have to do home runs to the rooms that get cable.  While I'm at it I'm pulling cat5 as I got a whole pile of it free. I know I will want to upgrade at some point so I'm doing the runs so they can be pulled and swapped out as I want for Cat6 or 5e cable.  I know wireless is optimum, but a lot of the higher end DVD stuff will even take a network connection now to upgrade itself. I don't foresee all of that being wireless! I have a nice 24 port switch, So i'm going to build as I go. When I get to the point I need to upgrade I can to the switch and move one step at time.  I don't want to lay out $200-300 at one time for this project.
   Once I get that done I will be able to figure out how to proceed. I need to do something to solidify the Convertible project and then all the American upgrades...Anyone want a whole pile of 327 and 287 stuff? I can then put the stroker in the Convertible... :]

--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV