Re: [Amc-list] Adding up the receipts, ouch!

Re: [Amc-list] Adding up the receipts, ouch!

I am constantly surprised at my Brother-in-law telling my Mother-in-law to spend godaweful amounts of money on here car. Becasue? He does not understand what they are telling him! So, He gets concerned that she may be in danger...
    I pointed out that instead of having Monroe do $800 worth of brake work they could have had it towed to a dealer and gotten a second opinion. She has the premium level of AAA and it would have been a covered tow!
    He is now retired and I pointe dout last night my philosophy on brakes.
I can replace the wear items on a typical car with new items often for equal or less money than any shop I have found will charge to turn a set of rotors and install new pads, so that's what I now do! After trying 4 different places to have rotors resurfaced and not been happy with the crappy job these shops do. I now just order new ones. Once in a while I get my dad to do them if I have time to wait.  At 78 dad still does a better job than any local shop I have found.
   As for oil changes, I let my wife take her Altima and XJ wherever she wants unless I will be doing other work and have them up in the air anyway.
   My Grand Cherokee gets Mobil one and Pureone filters. I do it myself as I don't trust a shop to put in the Mobil one unless I can watch. If I'm going to stand there watching, I might as well do it myself!
    My American is my baby, I'll do it myself.

   A guy over on one of my other lists seems to enjoy how much his Beemers cost to maintian! Why that is enjoyable I do not have a clue!

--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV

From: Mike Kindle <mike90066@xxxxxxxxxxx>